BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Kahwagi: Saudi grant vital in fighting terror

Army commander Gen. Jean Kahwagi attends a graduation ceremony at a military barracks in Beirut's suburb of Fayyadieh, Thursday, Aug. 1, 2013. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)

BEIRUT: Lebanese Army commander Gen. Jean Kahwagi expressed Lebanon’s appreciation for Saudi Arabia’s $1 billion grant to the military, saying the support was vital for the Army in its battle against terrorism.

“We are most appreciative for Saudi Arabia’s continued support to Lebanon and for this generous grant which comes in the right place and at a crucial time.” Kahwagi said in an interview published Thursday in Saudi daily Okaz.

“I want to personally thank the Saudi government for its generosity, which will help reinforce the Army’s capacities and fortify Lebanon against the dangers of terrorist attacks that are taking place at present as a result of regional developments."

The Army commander underscored the importance of the grant, which he said would enable the Army to purchase advanced technology and modern military equipment that it lacks at the time being.

“The Saudi support will contribute directly and effectively in the combat against terrorism,” Kahwagi said, arguing that the battle against terror “necessitates sophisticated military equipment to counter the terrorist extremist groups which are using advanced military technology.”

He said the grant would be used to address the Army’s immediate needs and speed up the delivery of necessary military equipment.

“We have actually started drawing lists of priorities and are currently filling in requests for arms and other military gear,” Kahwagi said.

The assistance comes eight months after Saudi King Abdullah granted $3 billion to the Army to buy weapons from France.

The latest grant was prompted by five days of fighting between the Army and militants from Syria’s Al-Qaeda-linked Nusra Front and Islamic State in Iraq and Syria (ISIS) who had overrun Arsal, a Sunni town on Lebanon’s eastern border with Syria.

At least 17 soldiers, 50 militants and 12 civilians have been killed in the Arsal clashes.

A total of 38 members of the security forces - 19 policemen and 22 Lebanese soldiers - had been taken captive by the militants in Arsal.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here