SIDON, Lebanon: A Palestinian woman was electrocuted to death Saturday morning outside of her house in the coastal city of Sidon.
Sanaa Abu al-Aynayn, in her 40s, was electrocuted when she slipped while filling her plastic waterbottles from a tank outside her house.
Abu al-Aynayn lived in the basement of an old building in the Sidoun neighborhood where the municipality allowed residents to buy water tanks and place them outside their houses in light of repeated water shortages in the city.
On the top of the stairs of her one-bedroom home were at least three water tanks placed under electricity poles and wires, some of which were dangling with others on the floor.
Abu al-Aynayn slipped on the water and grabbed onto an electricity wire for support. Neighbors screamed for help but residents said they were electrocuted every time they tried to pull her to safety and so were unable to prevent her death.