BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Hezbollah vows to respond to Israeli attack

Hezbollah members parade in Teffahta during a ceremony commemorating three slain Hezbollah leaders, Imad Mughniyeh, Abbas Musawi and Sheikh Ragheb Harb, Friday, Feb. 14, 2014. (The Daily Star/Mohammed Zaatari)

BEIRUT: Hezbollah pledged Wednesday to respond to an Israeli airstrike earlier this week that targeted a base on the Lebanon-Syria border in the group's first official confirmation of the attack.

“This Israeli aggression will not stand without a response from the resistance,” Hezbollah said in a statement.

“The resistance will choose the right time and place as well as the appropriate response method,” the group warned.

The statement said there were no casualties in Monday night's air raid, adding that the attack had inflicted "some" damage to a Hezbollah base near the Bekaa Valley border town of Janta.

The statement denied reports that a Hezbollah-bound weapons shipments from Syria had been the target.

“Reports by some media outlets that artillery or missile bases have been targeted or that [Hezbollah] fighters [were killed] are baseless," the group said.

Security sources had told The Daily Star that two trucks transporting missiles and a missile launcher into Lebanon were hit, and that four Hezbollah members were killed.

Israel did not directly claim responsibility for the strike, although Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said a day after the attack that his country was doing everything "necessary" to protect the Jewish state.

A report published Wednesday in the Israeli daily Haaretz said Israeli defense officials are preparing for Hezbollah to target senior Israeli figures in retaliation for Monday’s attack.

The report, citing Israeli sources, said Hezbollah was not expected to react immediately and that Israeli military leaders were preparing accordingly.

Meanwhile, President Michel Sleiman asked Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil to file a complaint with the U.N. Security Council over Israel’s latest attack.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Hezbollah pledged Wednesday to respond to an Israeli airstrike earlier this week that targeted a base on the Lebanon-Syria border in the group's first official confirmation of the attack.

A report published Wednesday in the Israeli daily Haaretz said Israeli defense officials are preparing for Hezbollah to target senior Israeli figures in retaliation for Monday's attack.

The report, citing Israeli sources, said Hezbollah was not expected to react immediately and that Israeli military leaders were preparing accordingly.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here