Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
THURSDAY, 24 APR 2014
04:54 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
30 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Judge issues additional charges for Naim Abbas
Naim Abbas, a member of Abdullah Azzam Brigades, was arrested by the Lebanese army in Corniche Mazraa, Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014. (The Daily Star/Lebanese Army Website, HO)
Naim Abbas, a member of Abdullah Azzam Brigades, was arrested by the Lebanese army in Corniche Mazraa, Wednesday, Feb. 12, 2014. (The Daily Star/Lebanese Army Website, HO)
A+ A-

BEIRUT: Military Investigative Judge Imad Zein Wednesday issued a new arrest warrant for Naim Abbas, the alleged mastermind behind two bombings, on charges of belonging to an armed group, plotting terror attacks in Lebanon, and forging identification papers, judicial sources told The Daily star.

Abbas has been in custody since February 12. He will be questioned over the new charges next week, the sources said, adding that his interrogation was postponed to allow him to appoint a lawyer.

Abbas has already been charged in connection with the two Haret Hreik car bombings on Jan. 2 and Jan. 21, as well as with the murder and attempted murder of citizens.

Abbas has been accused along with 20 others of belonging to two Al-Qaeda-linked terrorist groups, the Lebanese branch of the Nusra Front and the Abdullah Azzam Brigades. Both have claimed responsibility for several car bombings in areas associated with Hezbollah, claiming they were in retaliation for Hezbollah’s decision to fight alongside Syrian goverment forces.

The network allegedly includes Lebanese, Syrian and Palestinian nationals, but so far only four, including Abbas, who is Palestinian, have been detained.

The new charges were reportedly issued based on Abbas’ links to Jamal Daftardar, a commander in the Al-Qaeda-linked Abdullah Azzam Brigades who was arrested on January 15.

His case is also connected to that of detained preacher Sheikh Omar Atrash, who was also charged with having a role in the Beirut attacks.

 
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
Military Investigative Judge Imad Zein Wednesday issued a new arrest warrant for Naim Abbas, the alleged mastermind behind two bombings, on charges of belonging to an armed group, plotting terror attacks in Lebanon, and forging identification papers, judicial sources told The Daily star.

Abbas has been in custody since February 12 .
Related Articles
 
 
Wanted Islamist escapes assassination in Sidon
 
 
Judge questions Daftardar, issues arrest warrant
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Thursday April 24, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
For Christians, blessed are the dividers
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
An Iran deal is close, but we’re not there yet
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS