Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
THURSDAY, 24 APR 2014
04:17 PM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
30 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
U.S. denounces deadly blast in northeast Lebanon
A man stands near damaged cars at the site of an explosion in the town of Hermel on Thursday January 16, 2014. REUTERS/Rami Bleibel
A man stands near damaged cars at the site of an explosion in the town of Hermel on Thursday January 16, 2014. REUTERS/Rami Bleibel
A+ A-

BEIRUT: The U.S. condemned late Thursday the suspected suicide car bombing in the northeastern town of Hermel that killed four people, urging all parties in Lebanon to refrain from retaliatory acts.

“The United States condemns today’s terrorist bombing in Hermel. We extend our condolences to the victims and their families,” the U.S. Embassy said in a statement.

“We urge all parties to exercise calm and restraint and refrain from retaliatory acts,” it added.

A suspected suicide car bomb ripped through a bustling neighborhood of Hermel during morning rush hour Thursday morning, killing four people and wounding 42 others.

Although the attack is the first of its kind in the town of Hermel, where support for Hezbollah is strong, it is the latest in a series of bombings in Lebanon mainly linked to the Syrian confict.

The Nusra Front in Lebanon claimed responsibility for the attack, saying a suicide bomber carried out the bombing in response to Hezbollah’s military involvement in Syria.

Last year, the Nusra Front in Lebanon, an offshoot of the radical Syrian rebel group Nusra Front, also claimed responsibility for an attack on a Hezbollah center in Hermel.

In the statement, the U.S. voiced support for the Lebanese government’s efforts to conduct a thorough investigation.

“The United States continues to support the institutions of the Lebanese state to ensure a stable and sovereign Lebanon,” it said.

“We commend the Lebanese Armed Forces and the Internal Security Forces for their role in maintaining Lebanon’s security and call for any parties involved in this attack to be brought to justice,” the statement added.

 
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
The U.S. condemned late Thursday the suspected suicide car bombing in the northeastern town of Hermel that killed four people, urging all parties in Lebanon to refrain from retaliatory acts.

The Nusra Front in Lebanon claimed responsibility for the attack, saying a suicide bomber carried out the bombing in response to Hezbollah's military involvement in Syria.

Last year, the Nusra Front in Lebanon, an offshoot of the radical Syrian rebel group Nusra Front, also claimed responsibility for an attack on a Hezbollah center in Hermel.
Related Articles
 
 
Suicide bombing kills three soldiers in northeast Lebanon
 
 
Ready for launch rockets found in northeast Lebanon
 
 
Riyadh calls for ‘made in Lebanon’ president
 
 
ISIS rockets target Bekaa Valley villages
 
 
New rocket hits Bekaa Valley town
Show More
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Thursday April 24, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Israel shows Zionism’s true colors
Michael Young
Michael Young
For Christians, blessed are the dividers
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
An Iran deal is close, but we’re not there yet
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS