BEIRUT: Caretaker Interior Minister Marwan Charbel said thousands of troops are needed to further boost security in the pro-Hezbollah hamlet, amid a wave of deadly car bombings mainly targeting the southern suburbs of Beirut.
“The [Interior] Ministry has multiple alternative security plans, but we need at least 5,000 soldiers to enhance security in the southern suburbs alone,” Charbel said in remarks published Wednesday.
“Closing all 200 entrances to the suburbs requires thousands of troops,” he told the local daily An-Nahar.
A car bomb ripped through the southern suburb neighborhood of Haret Hreik Tuesday, killing four people and wounding 46 others.
Charbel also pointed out the need for modern technology, including explosive trace detection equipment “which are expensive.”
He said implementation of such alternative measures required a “hefty budget,” adding, however, that “the most significant of [the equipment] will be provided soon.”
Charbel uncovered that Lebanese authorities have a list of explosive-laden cars, adding that some of them had been seized.