Residents block the entrance to the Naameh landfill in front of Sukleen trucks as riot police stand guard south of Beirut, Friday Jan. 24, 2014. (The Daily Star/Mohammed Azakir)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Sit-in at Lebanon landfill suspended after crackdownActivists temporarily suspended their activities at the Naameh landfill Friday afternoon after a police crackdown earlier in the day cleared the way for Sukleen to resume dumping at the site serving Beirut and Mount Lebanon. At dawn on Friday, hundreds of police removed tents erected by protesters near the landfill. Earlier in the day, some three hundred police officers had descended upon the demonstration, activist Ragheda al-Halabi told The Daily Star.Still, Daou says the battle over Naameh landfill is far from over.Specifically, said activist Melhem Khalaf, the protesters want the landfill to be used for only biodegradable waste as stipulated in the agreement with Sukleen, the private company contracted to sweep and clean the streets of Beirut and Mount Lebanon.Protesters have been blocking the access road to the Naameh landfill on and off since Jan. 17, repeatedly bringing trash collection in Beirut to a standstill.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE