Mobile  |  About us  |  Photos  |  Videos  |  Subscriptions  |  RSS Feeds  |  Today's Paper  |  Classifieds  |  Contact Us
The Daily Star
WEDNESDAY, 16 APR 2014
07:18 AM Beirut time
Weather    
Beirut
20 °C
Blom Index
BLOM
1,214.01down
Lebanon News
Follow this story Print RSS Feed ePaper share this
Tripoli hospital denies refusing to treat baby
Tripoli's Governmental Hospital. (The Daily Star/Antoine Amrieh)
Tripoli's Governmental Hospital. (The Daily Star/Antoine Amrieh)
A+ A-

TRIPOLI, Lebanon: A state hospital in the northern city of Tripoli Monday denied media reports that it had refused to treat an 18-month-old boy who later died of a lung infection, prompting an investigation into the incident.

Multiple media outlets reported Monday that Mustafa Farouq Dawwash died on the doorstep of the Tripoli Public Hospital in Qibbeh after staff refused to treat him because there were no vacant beds. Other reports said the hospital turned the relatives away for not being able to pay the required medical fees.

But the hospital denied the allegations, insisting the boy had been treated. “Such reports are inaccurate,” the hospital said in a statement. “The child arrived at the hospital’s emergency room and received the necessary treatment without us asking his parents for money, but he died.”

“We ask the media to be more accurate in its news,” it added.

General Director of the Tripoli Public Hospital Naser Adra told The Daily Star: “The boy was admitted to the hospital at midnight Sunday in a grave situation. He was admitted to the emergency room where the doctors on call tried to save his life. However, they failed.

“The child died due to a severe infection in his lungs and a weak heart, which meant he couldn’t endure the treatment given to him.”

“The surveillance cameras at the entrance of the ER and inside the hospital will disprove the reports published by several news websites in which they accused the hospital of refusing to admit the boy before receiving fees from his parents.”

The controversy over the infant’s death led the general prosecutor’s office in the north to launch an investigation, charging coroner Bilal Sabbouh with investigating and examining the boy’s body.

A postmortem may be performed if necessary to determine the exact cause of death and establish whether the child underwent any treatment from the hospital’s emergency room staff.

Sabbouh, in a phone call with The Daily Star, refused to discuss the causes of the child’s death, adding that the results of the examination had been given to the general prosecution, which was responsible for making the report’s contents public.

Tripoli has seen several similar cases before. Toddler Moemin al- Mohammad was denied treatment by several hospitals in the city in April when he was suffering from a fever. He later died at the doors of Tripoli’s Dar al-Shifaa Hospital.

The child’s parents, who did not have insurance, were told they would have to pay approximately $1,000 to get their son, who was just under 2 months old, into the hospitals, including Dar al-Shifaa.

The boy’s father eventually managed to secure the necessary funds but by then it was already too late.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on January 28, 2014, on page 4.
Home Lebanon News
 
     
 
Lebanon
Advertisement
Comments  

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Story Summary
A state hospital in the northern city of Tripoli Monday denied media reports that it had refused to treat an 18-month-old boy who later died of a lung infection, prompting an investigation into the incident.

Other reports said the hospital turned the relatives away for not being able to pay the required medical fees.

But the hospital denied the allegations, insisting the boy had been treated.

General Director of the Tripoli Public Hospital Naser Adra told The Daily Star: "The boy was admitted to the hospital at midnight Sunday in a grave situation.

A postmortem may be performed if necessary to determine the exact cause of death and establish whether the child underwent any treatment from the hospital's emergency room staff.
Related Articles
Dozens of dead babies found in Brazil hospital horror
More from
Antoine Amrieh
 
 
Four Tripoli militia leaders turn themselves in to Army
 
 
Tripoli militia commanders surrender to Army
 
 
Three children killed in Akkar house blaze
 
 
Authorities arrest more suspects in Tripoli, Bekaa
 
 
Lebanese Army launches Bekaa Valley security plan
Entities
Advertisement


Baabda 2014
Advertisement
Follow us on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Linked In Follow us on Google+ Subscribe to our Live Feed
Multimedia
Images  
Pictures of the day
A selection of images from around the world- Tuesday April 15, 2014
View all view all
Advertisement
Rami G. Khouri
Rami G. Khouri
Silencing Ayaan Hirsi Ali’s hate talk
Michael Young
Michael Young
The presidential chess game has begun
David Ignatius
David Ignatius
China moves to the scary side of its boom
View all view all
Advertisement
cartoon
 
Click to View Articles
 
 
News
Business
Opinion
Sports
Culture
Technology
Entertainment
Privacy Policy | Anti-Spamming Policy | Disclaimer | Copyright Notice
© 2014 The Daily Star - All Rights Reserved - Designed and Developed By IDS