BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Syrian murderer given death penalty

People lay flowers in front of Mohammad Natout shop in the southern port city of Sidon, Lebanon, Wednesday, Feb. 29, 2012. (The Daily Star/Mohammed Zaatari)

BEIRUT: The Criminal Court of Cassation issued a death sentence against a 22-year-old Syrian man Tuesday over the murder of a money exchange shop owner in Sidon.

“We do not believe that we have received our right until the death sentence is implemented,” said Mazen al-Natout, the son of the victim Mohamad al-Natout who was killed in February 2012.

Nasser al-Fares stabbed to the 66-year-old shopowner to death and fled after stealing $5,000 from Natout’s Sidon store.

The verdict was issued Tuesday afternoon after a majority of the judges in the court approved the sentence.

“We have resorted to the judiciary from the start,” said Natout, stressing that “ trust [in the judiciary] was in its right place.”

Fares was previously sentenced with the death penalty last year by the Criminal Court of South Lebanon. However the case was referred to the Court of Cassation for review.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here