BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Army raids Beirut neighborhood, arrests two suspects

The Lebanese Army deploy in Qasqas, Greater Beirut on Monday, Oct. 22, 2012. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)

BEIRUT: The Lebanese Army raided several buildings in a Beirut neighborhood Wednesday and arrested two wanted suspects, part of a larger security plan to crack down on terror cells operating in the country.

The raid came hours after Prime Minister Tammam Salam chaired a security meeting at the Grand Serail to evaluate the security situation and review ongoing investigations into recent bomb attacks.

Blindfolded and handcuffed, the two suspects were escorted out of a building and into a military vehicle. Minutes later, soldiers and Army personnel withdrew and reopened a street they had blocked.

Soldiers deployed heavily in al-Tariq al-Jadidah and near the Cola roundabout, searching apartments in five buildings in the area, a security source, speaking on condition of anonymity, told The Daily Star.

They also cordoned off Fleyfel Street, preventing vehicles and passersby from approaching or entering the area during the military operation, which only lasted an hour.

Army chief Gen. Jean Kahwagi said the raids were part of a preemptive security plan to crack down on terror cells, reassuring the Lebanese that the security situation was "under control."

Kahwagi made his remarks before stepping into the security meeting attended by several high-ranking security and judicial officials along with Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk and Defense Minister Samir Moqbel.

Speaking after the end of the lengthy meeting, Moqbel said the attendees discussed the results of the ongoing probe into the recent bombings, primarily the June 24 Tayyouneh suicide bombing and the raid in a Beirut hotel.

Last week, a suicide bomber blew himself up during a security raid at the capital’s Duroy Hotel to evade arrest. His partner, a Saudi would-be suicide bomber, was arrested and confessed to being recruited by the Islamic State in Iraq and Greater Syria to carry out a double suicide bombing targeting a popular restaurant in Beirut's southern suburbs.

In response to a question, Moqbel confirmed that security forces were hunting down would-be suicide bombers and explosive-rigged vehicles.

According to the minister, the attendees underlined the critical security situation and the need for security forces to remain on high alert.

"They also stressed on the importance of increasing efforts to distance Lebanon from the repercussions of regional events,” he said.

Moqbel said Lebanon would combat terrorism and that such a phenomenon was new and "will never find [people who will] cooperate or embrace it."

He said security forces would continue the implementation of the security plan and that a plan would soon be drafted for the capital.

During the meeting, Salam praised their efforts in safeguarding national security, allowing them “to foil planned attacks aimed at destabilizing Lebanon and inciting strife,” Moqbel said.

Authorities have launched a crackdown on militants suspected of coming into the country from Syria with the aim of carrying out terrorist attacks.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

The Lebanese Army raided several buildings in a Beirut neighborhood Wednesday and arrested two wanted suspects, part of a larger security plan to crack down on terror cells operating in the country.

The raid came hours after Prime Minister Tammam Salam chaired a security meeting at the Grand Serail to evaluate the security situation and review ongoing investigations into recent bomb attacks.

Army chief Gen. Jean Kahwagi said the raids were part of a preemptive security plan to crack down on terror cells, reassuring the Lebanese that the security situation was "under control".

Kahwagi made his remarks before stepping into the security meeting attended by several high-ranking security and judicial officials along with Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk and Defense Minister Samir Moqbel.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here