Lebanon News

Judiciary sentences Fatah al-Islam man to life

This file picture shows the refugee camp of Nahr al-Bared. (The Daily Star/Mahmoud Kheir)

BEIRUT: The Judicial Council Friday sentenced an Omani national, convicted of joining the disbanded Fatah al-Islam and fighting against the Lebanese Army, to life in prison with hard labor.

Mohammad Khalas al-Jaberi, codenamed Abu Turky al-Omani and Abu Fdeil, was also fined with L.L. 500,000 in a court ruling that detailed the convict’s time in Lebanon since his arrival in 2006.

Jaberi arrived to Lebanon via the Rafik Hariri International Airport accompanied by two friends, who were later killed during clashes with the Army in Nahr al-Bared.

The Lebanese Army launched a military operation against the Palestinian camp in 2007 to root out militants belonging o Fatah al-Islam.

In Lebanon, Jaberi met a man in the Beirut district of Raouche who informed the convict that he belonged to a jihadist group that aimed to liberate Palestine.

Jaberi first stayed in an apartment in the Beirut Palestinian refugee camp Burj al-Barajneh along with 15 other men of Saudi, Tunisian and Syria nationalities.

He was then transported to another refugee camp in Baddawi, north Lebanon, where he was introduced to several other men. He described the apartment in Baddawi as a computer center.

Jaberi then moved to another apartment in the Nahr al-Bared refugee camp where he joined Fatah al-Islam and pledged allegiance to Shaker Absi. He said he was trained on how to use light and medium weapons and on how to fight in battles and attended religious classes.

He was then handed a Kalashnikov and became part of the Salaheddine guard group.

During the 2007 clashes, the convict shot at the Army and military centers, destroying some of them. He then fought in several areas inside the camp against the Army. He was injured in the leg when a rocket-propelled grenade struck by him.

After he received treatment, Jaberi moved to another location inside the camp where he engaged in fierce clashes with the Army. His aim was to prevent the Army from advancing “even if it cost him his life."

He fled the camp after the end of the fighting but the military later arrested him.





Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (

comments powered by Disqus



Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here