BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Qassem: Gaza balance of terror signals new phase

  • Hezbollah's deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem speaks in front of students at the LU in Hadath. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)

BEIRUT: Deputy Head of Hezbollah Sheikh Naim Qassem said Sunday that Palestinian armed resistance in Gaza has created a balance of terror in occupied Palestine, ushering in a new phase in the confrontation that would eventually lead to Israel’s defeat.

Commenting on the continuing Israeli offensive in Gaza, Qassem lashed out at the United States and the international community, accusing them of complicity, while deploring “appalling Arab apathy” towards Israel’s criminality.

“The glorious Palestinian resistance backed by its generous people, will come out victorious, as did the resistance in Lebanon, because they are the rightful owner of the land,” Qassem said in reference to the July 2006 conflict between Israel and Hezbollah.

“Despite the huge sacrifices incurred on Palestinians, Israel’s failure to achieve its goals, and the balance of terror created by the Palestinian resistance will establish a new phase leading to [an Israeli] defeat,” Qassem added.

The Hezbollah official reiterated support for Hamas and Islamic Jihad militants, saying resistance fighters have dealt a blow to Israeli security by placing it under their fire.

“This new round of Zionist criminality against the Palestinian people in Gaza reveals once again Israel’s danger on humanity, and proves that it is an antagonist entity, not viable in our region,” Qassem added.

An estimated 160 people, including at least 30 children, have been killed in the six-day offensive, according to Palestinian officials.

Militants in the Islamist-ruled Gaza Strip kept up rockets salvoes deep into Israel and the worst bout of Israel-Palestinian bloodshed in two years showed no signs of abating despite mounting international pressure for a ceasefire.

Hostilities along the Israel-Gaza frontier first intensified last month after Israeli forces arrested hundreds of Hamas activists in the Israeli-occupied West Bank following the abduction of three Jewish teenagers who were later found killed. A Palestinian youth was then killed in Jerusalem in a suspected Israeli revenge attack.

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Deputy Head of Hezbollah Sheikh Naim Qassem said Sunday that Palestinian armed resistance in Gaza has created a balance of terror in occupied Palestine, ushering in a new phase in the confrontation that would eventually lead to Israel's defeat.

Commenting on the continuing Israeli offensive in Gaza, Qassem lashed out at the United States and the international community, accusing them of complicity, while deploring "appalling Arab apathy" towards Israel's criminality.

An estimated 160 people, including at least 30 children, have been killed in the six-day offensive, according to Palestinian officials.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here