The following are a selection of stories from Lebanese newspapers that may be of interest to The Daily Star readers. The Daily Star cannot vouch for the accuracy of these reports.
Government, Hezbollah had no knowledge of rocket attack
Diplomatic sources said they understood that the Lebanese government and Hezbollah had no advance knowledge of rocket attacks from south Lebanon into Israel.
However, the recurrence of these incidents indicates that the status quo forces must be aware of what is going on in south Lebanon.
Hezbollah activity in Bekaa was not show of force
A security source told Al-Joumhouria that according to reports received by security agencies Hezbollah’s activity in the Bekaa Valley last week was not a show of force.
Hezbollah’s action instead was more like a contingency plan to rescue and support Syrian government forces fighting rebels in Qalamoun.
The source pointed out that Hezbollah had dispatched a large number of fighters and military vehicles to the Qalamoun front where the fighting was fiercest.
Nothing new on legislative session pending Future stance
March 8 parliamentary sources told Al-Akhbar that there was nothing new on a legislative session to vote on the salary raise until the Future Movement took a stance on the issue.
However, the sources said an agreement on the salary scale was imminent so that the eurobonds would be issued and public servants’ salaries paid.
Motive behind rocket attacks is to lure Israel into war
Political sources told Ad-Diyar that while the purpose of the rocket attacks from south Lebanon was to show support for Gaza’s Palestinians, the real motive was to lure Israel into a violent reaction and ignite the “southern front.”
The sources, however, stressed that the security situation was under control, thanks to the coordination between the Lebanese Army and U.N. peacekeepers.