BEIRUT

Middle East

Gaza offensive persists with no sign of cease-fire

  • Palestinian siblings Maria Abdel Aal, 4, right, and Misk, 3, cry as the body of their relative Bashir Abdel-Aal, killed in an overnight Israeli missile strike in Rafah, is carried away from the family house, during a funeral July 17, 2014. (AP Photo/Lefteris Pitarakis)

GAZA/OCCUPIED JERUSALEM: Israeli leaders played down Thursday prospects of a permanent Gaza cease-fire and fighting returned to a familiar pattern of Palestinian rocket salvos and Israeli bombing after a five-hour humanitarian truce.

An Israeli official said earlier that senior Israeli negotiators in Cairo had approved a full truce, but a final decision lay with the security Cabinet.

But Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman, who has been advocating a move into Gaza to stop rockets being fired on Israel, said: "We are not familiar with the matter."

A Hamas spokesman also denied initial comments by the Israeli official that a full truce was slated to start at 6 a.m. Friday.

Naftali Bennett, Israel's hawkish economy minister, said time was running out for Hamas.

"We are moving from Iron Dome to an iron fist," Naftali said, referring to an anti-missile system that has intercepted many of the rockets in 10 days of warfare.

With large contingents of Israeli infantry and tanks deployed near the Gaza border, Bennett, a member of the decision-making security cabinet, appeared to amplify Israeli threats of a ground invasion of the densely-populated enclave.

"I want to wish good luck to the IDF soldiers. With the IDF's help, and God's help, we will win," he told reporters in the southern city of Ashkelon, a frequent target of rocket strikes.

Sirens sounded in southern Israel at the end of the five-hour cease-fire requested by the United Nations.

The military said rockets headed toward Tel Aviv, the southern city of Beersheba and Ashkelon. There were no reports of casualties or damage.

Israeli aircraft bombed a house in Gaza City, killing three children, and another two youngsters died in separate attacks, said Ashraf al-Qidra, spokesman of the Gaza health ministry. The Palestinian death toll rose to more than 230, mostly civilians, according to the ministry.

In Israel, one civilian has been killed by fire from Gaza, where the Israeli military says more than 1,300 rockets have been launched into the Jewish state. The salvos have made a race to shelters a daily routine for hundreds of thousands of people.

Hours before the humanitarian cease-fire began, about a dozen Palestinian fighters tunneled under the border, emerging near an Israeli community. At least one was killed when Israeli aircraft bombed the group, the military said.

President Barack Obama said Wednesday that he supported Egyptian efforts to agree a cease-fire that would end the worst flare-up of Israeli-Palestinian hostilities in two years. U.S. officials would use their diplomatic resources over the next 24 hours to pursue closing a deal, he said.

Egypt had proposed a permanent cease-fire plan Tuesday, which Israel accepted. But Hamas, saying its terms had been ignored, rejected it.

Hamas wants Israel and Egypt, whose military-backed government is at odds with the Islamist group, to lift border restrictions that have deepened economic hardship among Gaza's 1.8 million populace and caused a cash crunch in the movement, which has been unable to pay its employees for months.

The United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestinian refugees said it had discovered Wednesday some 20 rockets hidden in an empty Gaza school.

"UNRWA strongly condemns the group or groups responsible for placing the weapons in one of its installations. This is a flagrant violation of the inviolability of its premises under international law," an UNRWA statement said.

Israel has long accused Palestinian militants of storing weapons in civilian facilities and using Gaza residents as human shields by launching rockets from residential areas.

An Israeli gunboat off Gaza's Mediterranean coast shelled a beach Wednesday, killing four boys - two aged 10 and the others 9 and 11 - from one family and critically wounding another youngster, witnesses and Ashraf al-Qidra of the Gaza Health Ministry said.

The Israeli military said the reported civilian casualties were unintended and tragic and it was investigating what happened. "Based on preliminary results, the target of this strike was Hamas terrorist operatives," it said in a statement.

The current conflict was largely triggered by the killing of three Israeli teens in the occupied West Bank last month and the death on July 2 of a Palestinian youth in a suspected revenge murder.

Israel indicted Thursday three Israelis suspected of having killed the 16-year-old Palestinian in occupied Jerusalem. A lawyer for a legal aide group representing the adult and two minors said they would enter a plea at a later date.

 
Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Israeli leaders played down Thursday prospects of a permanent Gaza cease-fire and fighting returned to a familiar pattern of Palestinian rocket salvos and Israeli bombing after a five-hour humanitarian truce.

A Hamas spokesman also denied initial comments by the Israeli official that a full truce was slated to start at 6 a.m. Friday.

Israeli aircraft bombed a house in Gaza City, killing three children, and another two youngsters died in separate attacks, said Ashraf al-Qidra, spokesman of the Gaza health ministry.

In Israel, one civilian has been killed by fire from Gaza, where the Israeli military says more than 1,300 rockets have been launched into the Jewish state.

Hours before the humanitarian cease-fire began, about a dozen Palestinian fighters tunneled under the border, emerging near an Israeli community. At least one was killed when Israeli aircraft bombed the group, the military said.

The Israeli military said the reported civilian casualties were unintended and tragic and it was investigating what happened.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here