BEIRUT: Lebanon lodged a complaint Thursday at the United Nations Security Council against Israel over bombarding southern villages in retaliation for rockets fired by "outlaws."
“Upon receiving the required documents from the Army’s leadership and the Defense Ministry, the Foreign Ministry advanced a complaint against Israel in the Security Council over the dangerous and various Israeli violations of Lebanon’s sovereignty and of the Security Council Resolution 1701,” a statement by the Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
The Foreign Ministry also condemned the Israel offense on Gaza in the statement, saying that “Lebanon considers that launching rockets against the occupied Palestinian territories by some outlaw individuals or some margin groups is a condemned act.
“It does not serve Lebanon or the Palestinian resistance’s interest, and provides Israel with motives to attack Lebanon and its sovereignty and threaten international peace and security,” the statement said.
The statement added that 516 Israeli violations to Lebanese territorial sovereignty had been recorded during the first five months of 2014.
Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil had pledged to take such action earlier this week, saying that neither the rocket launching nor the Israeli retaliatory acts were acceptable.
Blaming "undisciplined elements" for the rocket attacks on Israel, Bassil said: “But that doesn’t mean Israel can attack Lebanon. Lebanon has enough force to deter Israel from attacking it.”
Israel had also filed a complaint at the United Nations against the rocket attacks. Israel’s U.N. representative sent a message to the U.N. secretary-general holding Lebanon responsible for the firing of rockets.
U.N. Special Coordinator Derek Plumbly had condemned both the rocket attacks on Israel and the Israeli retaliatory action, saying that UNIFIL launched an investigation in coordination with the Lebanese Army in order to prevent their recurrence.