BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Sidon municipality files lawsuit over illegally felled trees

Cutting trees in Sidon, Thursday, July 17, 2014. (The Daily Star/Mohammed Zaatari)

SIDON, Lebanon: Sidon municipality has filed a lawsuit against a number of individuals for cutting down several old trees without permission and in the face of repeated instructions to stop.

The incident, which occurred Tuesday, took place on the southern city’s Zawareeb al-Najasa Street and has sparked anger among the residents.

The Daily Star has been informed that a non-Lebanese landowner, whose property is next to the stretch of pavement with the municipality-planted trees, was responsible.

One person has been arrested by the security forces over the incident for further investigation.

“The municipality received a complaint from residents that a number of workers assigned by a landowner had been cutting a number of trees on the pavement,” Sidon Mayor Mohammad Saudi said in a statement.

“A police patrol was sent to the scene and was subjected to provocations.” the statement added.

After a dispute, the patrol was able to confiscate the hacksaw used by the workers and received assurances the landowner would stop the operation.

However, according to Saudi, the owner and his workers continued anyway, prompting security forces to summon them based on a decision by the environmental prosecutor.

“It seems that the landowner thought he was above the law,” Saudi explained. “Just as he left the police station the last tree on the pavement was cut down.”

Although the landowner and a worker were summoned again Tuesday night, a well-informed source said a local group had intervened and provided the landlord with cover from the charges.

The incident comes at a time when the country’s green spaces are increasingly at risk due to various factors, most notably a recent spate of forest fires.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on July 18, 2014, on page 4.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Sidon municipality has filed a lawsuit against a number of individuals for cutting down several old trees without permission and in the face of repeated instructions to stop.

The Daily Star has been informed that a non-Lebanese landowner, whose property is next to the stretch of pavement with the municipality-planted trees, was responsible.

However, according to Saudi, the owner and his workers continued anyway, prompting security forces to summon them based on a decision by the environmental prosecutor.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here