BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Hezbollah condemns Shejaiya massacre

TOPSHOTS Civilians flee from Gaza's eastern Shejaiya district on July 20, 2014. At least 40 people were killed and nearly 400 wounded in Israeli shelling of Gaza's northeastern Shejaiya district overnight, medics said. AFP PHOTO / MAHMUD HAMS

BEIRUT: Hezbollah condemned the hours-long Israeli “massacre” on Shejaiya near Gaza City Sunday, slamming the Israeli forces for preventing medical teams from entering the ravaged area to rescue the wounded.

“This horrific massacre which did not distinguish between young and old, or [spare] children and women, is a continuation of the Zionists’ racist and criminal approach by committing the crime of genocide,” said the statement.

Hezbollah slammed Israeli forces for preventing medical personnel from entering the neighborhood to save the wounded and evacuate the bodies of the victims, saying that such restrictions “increases the horror of the massacre, and reveals the amount of hatred harbored in the hearts of those criminal Zionists.”

The statement also condemned the “criminal silence” of international and Arab organizations, arguing that the absence of a clear response implied “dangerous justification” for the crimes committed by Israel.

“This reminds us of the complicity of international and Arab organization during the resistance’s war in July 2006, and this is what places the responsibility for these crimes on international organizations, major powers and the Arab regimes which are participating in the global war on Gaza and its people,” added the statement.

Most of Sunday's Palestinian victims were killed in a blistering hours-long Israeli assault on Shejaiya near Gaza City, which began before dawn and has so far claimed 62 Palestinian lives.

With ambulances unable to reach the area, the International Committee of the Red Cross called for an urgent temporary ceasefire to allow paramedics to evacuate the dead and wounded, which was agreed on by the two sides.

Following a night of terror in Shejaiya, thousands began fleeing for their lives at first light after heavy shelling left casualties lying in the streets, an AFP correspondent reported.

At least 87 Gazan Palestinians and 13 soldiers were killed Sunday as Israel ramped up a major military offensive in the bloodiest single day in the enclave in five years.

 

Recommended

Related Articles

Entities

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here