Angry crowds protest in support of Hussam al-Sabbagh in Tripoli, Monday, July 21, 2014. (The Daily Star/Stringer)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk said Friday that Cabinet's decision to abolish wanted lists – made up of individuals named by informants – does not deprive security apparatuses of the power to draw new lists in closer coordination with the judicial authorities.An adviser to the justice minister had earlier explained to The Daily Star that while the names currently on the list were being removed, the procedure to gather them remained in force.Asked how the Cabinet decision would translate on the ground, Saab said he expected a large majority of those on the lists to be released after being found innocent, while only those with solid evidence of against them would be retained by judicial order.Security agencies apprehended hundreds of suspects based on the controversial lists, with only a few arrests based on judiciary warrants.
As snow melts, questions remain over border battles
Army presence reassures Christians facing ISIS
Narrowing markets for illicit trade of Syrian antiquities
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE