BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Lebanese last to leave Libya

Fighters from the Benghazi Shura Council, which includes former rebels and militants from Al-Qaeda-linked Ansar al-Shariah, gesture on top of a tank next to the camp of the special forces in Benghazi July 30, 2014. (REUTERS)

BEIRUT: The Lebanese community in Libya demanded that authorities speed up evacuation Thursday, saying that other embassies have already pulled out their constituencies from the war-torn country.

The deteriorating security situation and the ongoing battles urged the Lebanese charge d'affaires, presiding over the embassy, to leave Tripoli last April.

The Lebanese community in Libya however remains one of the last constituencies that have yet to be pulled out by the relevant authorities.

In Athens, meanwhile, an official said a navy frigate was en route to Libya to evacuate some 200 people, including diplomatic staff.

These include around 70 Greeks, some 15 Cypriots and 80 Chinese, in addition to other nationalities.

"There are a lot of requests but capacity on the frigate is limited," the official said.

According to Elnashra, 29 Spanish residents and their families were evacuated from Libya Tuesday.

"All the information we have is that the situation in Libya will get much worse very quickly," Foreign Minister Jose Manuel Garcia Margallo told the Spanish parliament.

The Philippines was preparing Thursday to evacuate 13,000 of its citizens from Libya. Amid the violence raging in the country, there have been Filipino victims, with a worker beheaded and a nurse gang-raped.

Just over 700 Filipino nationals had left Libya by Wednesday despite the rapidly deteriorating situation, with warring militias battling for control of key population centers.

France’s government spokesman Stephane Le Foll announced Wednesday that French and British nationals had been evacuated from Libya.

A French diplomatic source was cited by European news outlets saying that 40 French nationals and seven British nationals had been pulled out of the country by the French military.

The United Nations (UN) also announced this week its intent to pull out its staff out of Libya.

The Tripoli clashes, the most violent since Gadhafi's ouster, began with an assault on the airport by a coalition of groups, mainly Islamists, which has since been backed by fighters from Misrata.

The attackers are battling to flush out fellow former rebels from the hill town of Zintan, southwest of Tripoli, who have controlled the airport for the past three years.

At least 100 people have reportedly been killed and 400 wounded since July 13 when the airport battle erupted.

Islamist hard-line militias claimed to have taken control of Libya's second largest city, Benghazi Thursday, after defeating army units, taking over military barracks and seizing tanks, rockets and hundreds of boxes of ammunition.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

The Lebanese community in Libya demanded that authorities speed up evacuation Thursday, saying that other embassies have already pulled out their constituencies from the war-torn country.

The Lebanese community in Libya however remains one of the last constituencies that have yet to be pulled out by the relevant authorities.

These include around 70 Greeks, some 15 Cypriots and 80 Chinese, in addition to other nationalities.

Just over 700 Filipino nationals had left Libya by Wednesday despite the rapidly deteriorating situation, with warring militias battling for control of key population centers.

France's government spokesman Stephane Le Foll announced Wednesday that French and British nationals had been evacuated from Libya.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here