BEIRUT: The Special Tribunal for Lebanon’s Appeals Chamber Thursday confirmed June 18 as the date for the resumption of the trial of five Hezbollah suspects accused of involvement in the 2005 assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri.
In a statement, the STL said the decision came after the defense team for the fifth suspect Hassan Merhi, who was indicted in the case last year, requested to postpone trial until an expert reviewed the prosecution’s evidence and prepared a report.
The June 18 trial hearing will likely include the prosecutor’s opening remarks in the case against Merhi in which he will outline the suspect’s alleged role in the crime.
In February, the STL officially joined Merhi's case to that of the four other Hezbollah members accused of plotting and executing Hariri’s assassination.
Merhi is the only suspect accused of involvement in both the false claim of responsibility and the actual killing.
The trial is prosecuting the suspects in absentia after Lebanese authorities failed to apprehend them. Hezbollah has said it would never hand over the men, denying any role in the assassination.