BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Lebanese man still held after gunmen free hostages

File - A general view of Ras Baalbek village, Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2014. (The Daily Star/Mahmoud Kheir)

HERMEL, Lebanon: All but one of a group of Lebanese and Syrians who were kidnapped in the northern Bekaa Tuesday have been released, according to the National News Agency.

The group of 10 were seized Tuesday by armed Syrian gunmen at a quarry where they worked, near the village of Ras Baalbek. They included three Lebanese, one Turk and six Syrians, including three Syrian Kurds.

Security sources told The Daily Star that the Syrian Kurds were able to escape, and said the Lebanese nationals included quarry owner Mikhael Mourad and one person from Arsal.

The NNA said all except Mourad had been released, adding that efforts were underway to free him.

The kidnappers also stole three trucks, a pick-up truck and a bulldozer from the quarry.

The kidnappers were Syrian gunmen and have now taken shelter in the heights of Ras Baalbek’s outskirts, the sources said.

The Lebanese Army has launched a manhunt to find them.

Some residents of the village told The Daily Star that the kidnappers were members of the Al-Qaeda-linked Nusra Front, which they said had infiltrated the mountains bordering the village.

Ras Baalbek’s Mayor Hisham Arjaa said he did not foresee counter-kidnappings, saying only five Syrians were among the abducted.

“We live in a secure village here in Ras Baalbek,” he told The Daily Star, referring to the many Lebanese Army posts scattered through the village.

Ras Baalbek is a primarily Greek Catholic village located a few kilometers away from the eastern mountain range along Lebanon’s porous border with Syria.

An estimated 300 families have moved to Ras Baalbek since the Syrian war began and the village has remained relatively free of the repercussions felt by other eastern villages due to the crisis.

 
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on June 11, 2014, on page 4.

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

All but one of a group of Lebanese and Syrians who were kidnapped in the northern Bekaa Tuesday have been released, according to the National News Agency.

The group of 10 were seized Tuesday by armed Syrian gunmen at a quarry where they worked, near the village of Ras Baalbek. They included three Lebanese, one Turk and six Syrians, including three Syrian Kurds.

Security sources told The Daily Star that the Syrian Kurds were able to escape, and said the Lebanese nationals included quarry owner Mikhael Mourad and one person from Arsal.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here