The following are a selection of stories from Lebanese newspapers that may be of interest to Daily Star readers. The Daily Star cannot vouch for the accuracy of these reports.
Terrorist network being dismantled, no need to panic
Ministerial sources said the U.S. was behind getting Lebanese security forces to act last week, particularly in terms of the raid on the Napoleon hotel and the cancellation of a conference organized by Speaker Nabih Berri’s Amal Movement.
An-Nahar said that security authorities were working on dismantling a terrorist network and arresting its members.
This requires time, but there is no reason to panic, the sources added.
Investigation has revealed that embassies of countries in the region were recruiting members in Europe to fight and carry out operations in the region. The recruits were of North African descent.
U.S. urged ‘Future’ to negotiate with Hezbollah on presidency
Western diplomatic sources told Al-Joumhouria that Washington has encouraged the Future Movement to open direct channels of communication with Hezbollah in order to reach an understanding on the presidential election.
Meanwhile, Progressive Socialist Party sources told Al-Joumhouria that the meeting in Paris between PSP leader Walid Jumblatt and Future Movement head Saad Hariri was an icebreaker.
The sources added that no significant breakthrough was made on the presidential election at the meeting.
Kuwait’s financial support to Lebanon: $30 million for Syrian refugees, $200 million for electricity
Sources from the Lebanese delegation that accompanied Prime Minister Tammam Salam on his visit to Kuwait told Al-Liwaa that Kuwait has granted Lebanon $30 million for Syrian refugees and $200 million for the establishment of a new power plant, instead of rehabilitating the old power plants at Jiyyen and Zouk.
Recruitment of suicide bombers to assassinate political figures
Security information made available to Ad-Diyar spoke of the recruitment of suicide bombers to assassinate prominent political figures from both the March 8 and March 14 coalitions.
The assassinations aim at causing an outbreak in Lebanon, according to the information coming from Lebanese, Arab and international security agencies.
There are lists of names of several political personalities who had been warned against venturing out into the streets.
Napolean’s ‘suicide attacker’ came via Beirut airport
As for the only suspect who remained in custody following the arrests at Napoleon Hotel in Hamra last week, As-Safir has learned that the man, who belongs to Al-Qaeda, hails from the Comoros and holds French nationality.
According to information made available to As-Safir, the suspect was a “suicide attacker” who was waiting at the hotel to embark on a mission handed down by his superiors.
The attacker had entered Lebanon through Beirut airport.
As-Safir has also learned that Lebanese Army Intelligence arrested three wanted men in northern Lebanon suspected of involvement in terror activity.
Meanwhile, sources told As-Safir that security authorities were looking for two more vehicles suspected of being booby-trapped following the car bombing at Dahr al-Baidar last week.