BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Al-Qaeda-affiliated group warns Hezbollah of more attacks

Lebanese soldiers inspect the site of the explosion in Tayyouneh, Tuesday, June 24, 2014. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)

BEIRUT: The Abdullah Azzam Brigades announced Tuesday that explosions in Beirut’s southern suburbs were a series of many attacks to come as long as Hezbollah was fighting in Syria, in an indirect claim to Monday’s suicide attack that killed one and wounded 25.

Sheikh Sirajeddine Zuraiqat, the Al-Qaeda affiliated group’s religious guide, tweeted that the recent targeting of General Security head Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim and the explosions in the southern suburbs confirmed that “you [Hezbollah] will not be living safely, until safety is returned to the people of Syria and Lebanon.”

A suicide bomber killed a security officer and wounded 25 people in a midnight attack in the Beirut neighborhood of Tayyouneh, intending to carry out the bombing in the capital’s southern suburbs, which had witnessed a series of explosions at the beginning of this year and the end of last year.

A suicide bomber also blew himself up last week at a police checkpoint on the Beirut-Damascus highway in Dahr al-Baidar, killing one police officer and wounding 32 people.

Ibrahim said he narrowly escaped that attack after the blast went off just 200 meters away from his convoy.

According to Zuraiqat, Hezbollah "brought trouble" on itself through its "adventures in Syria.” He also tweeted that “the battle with Hezbollah is no longer only against us, but with the Sunnis in Syria and Lebanon."

Zuraiqat said the recent suicide attacks were “proof that Hezbollah’s war is not against takfiri organizations as it claims,” and that “all Sunnis are beginning to defend themselves.”

The Abdullah Azzam Brigades have claimed responsibility for several suicide attacks in Lebanon.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

The Abdullah Azzam Brigades announced Tuesday that explosions in Beirut's southern suburbs were a series of many attacks to come as long as Hezbollah was fighting in Syria, in an indirect claim to Monday's suicide attack that killed one and wounded 25 .

A suicide bomber killed a security officer and wounded 25 people in a midnight attack in the Beirut neighborhood of Tayyouneh, intending to carry out the bombing in the capital's southern suburbs, which had witnessed a series of explosions at the beginning of this year and the end of last year.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here