BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Jordanian implicated in Beirut suicide bombers probe

Civil Defense personnel struggle to put out the flames coming out of the Duroy Hotel, where a suicide bomber blew himself up Wednesday, June 25, 2014, to avoid capture by the security forces. (The Daily Star/Mahmoud Kheir)

BEIRUT: A Frenchman and two Saudi nationals – one of whom blew up himself to evade arrest during a recent raid on a hotel in Beirut – were recruited and trained in Turkey by a radical Jordanian to become suicide bombers.

A judicial source told The Daily Star that the Jordanian trainer had been sending the recruits to Lebanon after having undergone training in Istanbul.

The source said the trainer would supply the bombers-to-be with money before sending them to Lebanon with instructions on who they should meet upon arrival.

Once in Lebanon, individuals would take charge of the bombers, provide them with explosives and give them instructions for the different tasks, according to the source.

The source said the investigation had revealed a link between the would-be French bomber, originally from the Comoros Islands, who was arrested in a June 20 raid on the Napoleon Hotel in Hamra and the would-be suicide bomber detained at the Duroy Hotel in Raouche last week.

A partner of the Saudi bomber had detonated his explosives belt at the Duroy Hotel, killing himself to evade arrest during a pre-emptive raid by General Security officers.

The judicial source said the investigation has expanded following the weekend arrest of more suspects.

State Prosecutor Samir Hammoud told The Daily Star Sunday that a number of terrorist cells had been uncovered in north Lebanon and that some of their members, suspected of involvement in security-related incidents, had been arrested.

Security concerns mounted after General Security released the photo of Monzer al-Hasan, a suspected terrorist who had provided the two Saudi suicide bombers with explosive belts. Hasan, 24, hails from the northern province of Akkar.

Hasan, a brother of two suicide bombers who blew themselves up in Syria, has disappeared and is believed to have left Akkar to rebel-held Syrian territory after his photo was published in newspapers.

The source said Military Prosecutor Saqr Saqr will in the coming hours refer the Saudi detainee to Lebanese Army Intelligence for further investigation.

“They [radicals] are seeking to turn Lebanon into fertile ground for Daesh,” said the source in reference to militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and Greater Syria. “They want Lebanon to become a mini-Iraq.”

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here