BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Protests in Zahle after schoolboy kidnapped

BEIRUT: Angered by the kidnapping Friday of a nine-year-old schoolboy in Zahle, east Lebanon, friends and relatives blocked roads across the town to pressure authorities to help free the child.

Dozens of supporters and relatives blocked off intersections with burning tires shortly after Michel, the son of wealthy businessman Ibrahim Saqr, was snatched by masked gunmen as he headed to school in a chauffeur-driven car.

Bekaa Valley Prosecutor Farid Kallab inspected the scene of the kidnapping and ordered security agencies to launch a search for the boy.

Michel was kidnapped around 7 a.m. while on his way to the Sainte Famille school in Zahle, a security source told The Daily Star.

The source said the assailants in a Grand Cherokee and a Honda intercepted Saqr's car, pulled the driver out and beat him, while others snatched the boy and sped off in the Cherokee to an unknown destination.

The driver was identified only as Abu Milad. The Honda used in the kidnapping was left behind at the abduction scene. The sources said the vehicle was stolen from the Beirut district of Sin al-Fil earlier this week.

Saqr owns a gas company and several gas stations. He also runs an advertising business in the Bekaa Valley.

Prime Minister Tammam Salam followed up on the kidnapping case with the relevant officials and also contacted the leaderships of Hezbollah and the Amal Movement asking them to help the security agencies address the issue, his office said.

For his part, Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk contacted the father of the kidnapped boy and informed him that he has told the security forces to take "all necessary measures" to release Michel, according to the National News Service.

He also called for a security meeting to address the rising phenomenon of kidnapping.

“We must confront the [gangs] that specialize in kidnapping, murder, fraud, theft and drugs,” Machnouk said in a statement.

Lebanon has seen a spate of kidnappings for ransom over the past year.

On Thursday, gunmen kidnapped a Lebanese currency exchange dealer at gunpoint in east Lebanon, but released him several hours later.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

Angered by the kidnapping Friday of a nine-year-old schoolboy in Zahle, east Lebanon, friends and relatives blocked roads across the town to pressure authorities to help free the child.

Bekaa Valley Prosecutor Farid Kallab inspected the scene of the kidnapping and ordered security agencies to launch a search for the boy.

The Honda used in the kidnapping was left behind at the abduction scene.

For his part, Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk contacted the father of the kidnapped boy and informed him that he has told the security forces to take "all necessary measures" to release Michel, according to the National News Service.

He also called for a security meeting to address the rising phenomenon of kidnapping.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here