TRIPOLI, Lebanon: A 20-year old man has confessed to raping seven minors after luring them with money in the northern city of Tripoli, Lebanon’s Internal Security Forces said in a statement Monday.
The arrest came after a Lebanese father approached the police in Tripoli Thursday, claiming that the 20-year-old man, identified as Mohammad Mahmoud Mustafa, raped his 13-year-old son.
The father told a local television station that the abuse had been going on for a year.
His face turned away from the camera so as not to be identified, the distraught father said he began noticing that something was wrong when his son grew more reserved and fearful of people and avoided any kind of contact with others.
“He was afraid of everyone,” the boy’s father said.
The victim also refused to strip down for his baths and suffered bodily pains that he blamed on falling off his bike.
As a result of comprehensive investigation, police were able to arrest the suspected perpetrator on March 8 at a car wash in Tripoli’s Abi Samra neighborhood, where he worked.
During interrogation, the man confessed to raping the 13-year-old along with six other minors after offering them money ranging from LL2,000 to LL5,000.
This is a second serial pedophilia case in less than year.
In August, police apprehended a 28-year-old man in the Ashrafieh district of Beirut who confessed to raping as many as 10 children including the 16-year-old boy who reported the abuse.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on March 11, 2014, on page 1.