TRIPOLI, Lebanon: Fighting subsided in the northern city of Tripoli Sunday after overnight clashes between pro and anti-Assad fighters killed two people, including a soldier, and raised the death toll to 11 since violence erupted earlier this week.
Although activity returned to the city Sunday morning, residents remained alert for any change in the precarious situation in Lebanon’s second largest city that has been rocked by several rounds of clashes between rival fighters in the Bab al-Tabbaneh and Jabal Mohsen neighborhoods.
Many residents avoided inner city roads altogether, opting instead for side roads in the Mina area as well as the coastal highway.
The city had been on a knife’s edge the previous night.
Mohammad Nhayleh, a man accused of firing a rocket-propelled grenade at the military in the last round of clashes in the city, was killed in the Starco area of Bab al-Tabbaneh.
The Army also lost one of its own when gunmen opened fire on a military transport.
In a terse statement Saturday, the Army said unidentified gunmen fired a rocket-propelled grenade at a military transport in Malloula, leading to the death of a soldier.
The Army identified the soldier Sunday as Fadi Sakaan, who fathered three children. A security source said several soldiers were also wounded in the incident.
Earlier in the day, a man identified as Abdullah Keserwani was shot by a sniper and killed while passing under the Malloula Bridge, a security source said.
Several other people wounded in the clashes also died, the sources added.
The victim’s of Saturday’s violence raised the death toll since fighting erupted Saturday to 11. At least 63 people have also been wounded in the clashes.
Militants from Bab al-Tabbaneh, a predominantly-Sunni neighborhood known for its support for the armed Syrian opposition, have engaged in multiple rounds of fighting with Alawite fighters from Jabal Mohsen, which enjoys strong links to the Syrian regime.