BEIRUT: Hezbollah official Sheikh Naim Qassem said Sunday that the recent defeat of rebel groups in Syria’s Yabroud will curb suicide and car bombings in Lebanon.
“Some are not paying attention to the grand victory that took place in the Qalamoun region or Yabroud. These achievements will certainly decrease the number of deadly cars and the devil’s suicide bombers,” Qassem, Hezbollah’s Deputy General Secretary, said during a ceremony in Beirut.
“These are important steps to protect Lebanon, its security and stability and independence,” he added.
Backed by Hezbollah fighters, the Syrian regime announced last week it had taken over Yabroud, a rebel stronghold near the border with Lebanon, dealing a blow to the opposition on the ground.
Meanwhile, Hezbollah’s Al-Manar television said the Syrian Army carried out a "security operation in the heart of the Qalamoun" region, targeting leaders of an armed rebel group responsible for sending car bombs into Lebanon.
The report said the operation led to the killing of three “experts in rigging vehicles” identified as Ahmad Ali Hamra, Farid Mohammad Jomaa, and Hussam Massaad Hammoud, along with four of their "assistants."
Over the past year, Lebanon has been the target of over a dozen suicide and car bombings, mostly in Shiite areas commonly associated with Hezbollah.
Most of the bombings were claimed by Islamist groups citing the Hezbollah's role in Syria.