BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Sleiman says National Dialogue must go on

File - President Michel Sleiman speaks during an interview with The Daily Star at the Presidential Palace in Baabda, Lebanon, Wednesday, March 14, 2012. (The Daily Star/Grace Kassab)

BEIRUT: President Michel Sleiman said Sunday the National Dialogue must go on, expressing regret that some parties have decided not to participate following hints from Hezbollah chief Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah that his party may also boycott the Dialogue.

“We must complete the discussion of a defense strategy that can protect us from the Israeli threat ... and from the threat of rampant arms and terrorism, which has claimed the lives of young people who do not appreciate the value of life granted to them by God,” Sleiman said in a speech during the launch of the First Alphabet Poetry Festival in Jbeil.

“We raise this subject on the eve of the National Dialogue that we called for in Baabda Palace to restore the Army's exclusive authority over arms, which can enhance [the military’s] capacity in fighting terrorism,” Sleiman said.

“We regret the decision by some of the [National Dialogue] Committee members not to attend,” the president added.

Sleiman’s speech comes one day before the first scheduled Dialogue session since 2012, amidst mounting opposition from some corners. The Lebanese Forces have and the Lebanese Democratic Party have both indicated they will not take part.

On Saturday, Nasrallah, whose party has been at odds with the president over its role in Syria, called for an early presidential election “so that we can launch a new phase in Lebanon."

"Then we can join [National] Dialogue [sessions] and discuss a national defense strategy and mutual cooperation," Nasrallah said.

Sleiman's six-year term ends on May 25, but the constitutional two-month period for Parliament to elect a new head of state started earlier this week.

The Hezbollah leader said he would not announce the party’s stance with regard to the National Dialogue sessions, but assured that “this atmosphere [of attacks on the resistance] will certainly affect our decision.”

The last Dialogue session was held in September 2012, during which Sleiman proposed a national defense strategy that would allow Hezbollah to keep its weapons but under the command of the Lebanese Army, which would enjoy a monopoly on the use of force.

For his part, MP Fadi Karam, from the Lebanese Forces, confirmed Sunday that his party would not attend the Dialogue session, describing it as “a waste of time.”

“The stance of the Lebanese Forces not to take part in Dialogue is still the same,” Karam told the voice of Lebanon radio station. “The right conditions for Dialogue are nonexistent and it is a waste of time."

Lebanese Democratic Party leader Talal Arslan also announced that his party will boycott Monday's National Dialogue session.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

President Michel Sleiman said Sunday the National Dialogue must go on, expressing regret that some parties have decided not to participate following hints from Hezbollah chief Sayyed Hasan Nasrallah that his party may also boycott the Dialogue.

Sleiman's speech comes one day before the first scheduled Dialogue session since 2012, amidst mounting opposition from some corners.

The last Dialogue session was held in September 2012, during which Sleiman proposed a national defense strategy that would allow Hezbollah to keep its weapons but under the command of the Lebanese Army, which would enjoy a monopoly on the use of force.

For his part, MP Fadi Karam, from the Lebanese Forces, confirmed Sunday that his party would not attend the Dialogue session, describing it as "a waste of time".

Lebanese Democratic Party leader Talal Arslan also announced that his party will boycott Monday's National Dialogue session.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here