BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Terror threat ongoing: Industry Minister

File - Industry Minister Hussein Hajj Hasan arrives to attend a Cabinet session in Baabda, Thursday, March 27, 2014. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)

BEIRUT: Industry Minister Hussein Hajj Hasan Sunday said that the terror threat against Lebnanon was ongoing although it was significantly curbed due to the security plan recently implemented by Lebanese authorities.

“War on terror is still on although the threat of terrorism has been significantly reduced after many cells have been busted,” he said during the memorial service for Sgt. Mahmoud Hajj Hasan a Lebanese Army soldier who died during an attack on a Lebanese Army post in the border village of Arsal a few months ago.

“The threat of terrorism still stands because the patrons of terrorist cells are still active and working towards fulfilling their goals,” the Hezbollah lawmaker added.

Ever since the government of Tammam Salam won a vote of confidence and initiated a security plan targeting volatile zones across the country, the unprecedented rate of nearly weekly terrorist attacks that Lebanon witnessed earlier this year diminished significantly.

Hussein Hajj Hasan hailed the Army and the security forces for establishing law and order and called on them to double efforts to face the ongoing terrorist threats. The minister added that the security plan paved the way to initiate developmental projects in neglected areas, namely the northern Bekaa Valley and the province of Akkar in north Lebanon.

“Development and security go hand in hand,” he said, highlighting that the resident of northern Bekaa respected the state and its institutions.

Hajj Hasan also called on fighting sectarian strife, saying Sunni-Shiite tensions should be confronted by dialogue and national unity.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here