BEIRUT

Lebanon News

Abra detainees to go on hunger strike unless demands met

Rescuers carry an injured army soldier during clashes in Abra, Sunday, June 23, 2013. (The Daily Star/Mohammed Zaatari)

SIDON, Lebanon: Detainees accused of involvement in last year’s Abra clashes in Sidon warned Friday they would go on a hunger strike next month unless two sheikhs were released, urging their trials to be expedited.

“We announce to the Lebanese, Sidon residents and those involved in the Abra case that we demand the release of everyone who had no role in the clashes, particularly Sheikh Assem al-Arefi and Sheikh Alaa al-Saleh and for [the judiciary] to speed up the trials of detainees or else we will go on a hunger strike starting June 2,” said a statement by the Committee of Abra Detainees.

It added that almost a year had passed since their apprehension and decried the fact that their trials had not yet begun. It also criticized the “harsh and difficult conditions” inside the detention center.

Some 40 supporters of fugitive Salafist Sheikh Ahmad Assir that took part in clashes with the Lebanese Army in the coastal city of Sidon in June of last year were arrested shortly after the fighting ended.

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus
Summary

"We announce to the Lebanese, Sidon residents and those involved in the Abra case that we demand the release of everyone who had no role in the clashes, particularly Sheikh Assem al-Arefi and Sheikh Alaa al-Saleh and for [the judiciary] to speed up the trials of detainees or else we will go on a hunger strike starting June 2," said a statement by the Committee of Abra Detainees.

It added that almost a year had passed since their apprehension and decried the fact that their trials had not yet begun.

Some 40 supporters of fugitive Salafist Sheikh Ahmad Assir that took part in clashes with the Lebanese Army in the coastal city of Sidon in June of last year were arrested shortly after the fighting ended.


Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here