BEIRUT: The families of Lebanon’s missing of the Civil War issued a statement over the weekend calling on the state to publish the results of an investigation into the disappeared of the 15-year conflict.
“The Day of the Disappeared on Aug. 30 comes this year heavy with thousands of missing individuals,” the Committee of the Families of the Kidnapped and Missing in Lebanon, and the Committee for the Support of Lebanese in Detention and Exile said in a joint statement.
The NGOs criticized the Lebanese government’s handling of the issue of the Army soldiers and police officers held hostage by militants after last month’s battle in Arsal, saying the authorities had treated the matter “lightly,” and comparing it to the abandonment of thousands of missing Lebanese.
The Lebanese government estimates that 17,000 individuals disappeared during the Civil War.
The NGOs said they could not trust the Lebanese government, which has refused to release the results of an investigation into the Civil War missing that began in 2000. The Judicial Council had ordered the release of the report early this year.
“Why has the state kidnapped this report and why is it procrastinating in handing it over?” they asked.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 01, 2014, on page 4.