The following are a selection of stories from Lebanese newspapers that may be of interest to Daily Star readers. The Daily Star cannot vouch for the accuracy of these reports.
March 14’s initiative aims to adhere to Geagea’s candidacy
A leading figure in the March 14 coalition said that the “core” of the initiative launched by the alliance earlier this week aimed to adhere to Lebanese Forces leader Samir Geagea’s presidential nomination.
“The initiative was to make room for the other [political] team if it has intentions to reach a settlement,” the figure told Al-Joumhouria. “Geagea is still March 14’s candidate to this day.”
He said that March 14 would seek a settlement only if the March 8 coalition responded to their initiative.
New results in captive soldiers’ crisis
An-Nahar has learned that the “crisis cell” handling the captive soldiers' issue is working round the clock amid possible expectations for a breakthrough that coincide with a serious Qatari action and contacts conducted by General Security head Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim away from the spotlight.
Sources following up on the crisis also spoke of the possibility that negative things could happen that would disrupt efforts to release the soldiers and policemen held captive by Islamist militants.
Meanwhile, ministerial sources told An-Nahar that strenuous efforts were being exerted inside and outside Lebanon to solve the issue of kidnapped soldiers.
The sources stressed, however, that a swap deal between the soldiers and Islamist inmates at Roumieh Prison was out of the question.
Newly discovered car-bomb factory belongs to Nusra Front
Well-informed sources told As-Safir that the car-bomb factory discovered Wednesday in the northern area of Qalamoun belonged to Nusra Front.
The sources said the five cars that were found inside the factory were being rigged with explosives to be detonated at Lebanese Army checkpoints and Hezbollah positions.
They said that discovery came only a few days after a similar car-bomb factory was found in the same area, thanks to intelligence efforts.
Soldier’s beheading at the hands of Lebanese
According to information made available to Al-Akhbar, the beheading of the Lebanese soldier was done at the hands of two Lebanese from the north of the country.
The information said one the killers was the masked man who decapitated 1st Sgt. Ali al-Sayyed.
Security sources said the killers had joined ISIS and were fighting alongside the Islamist group.