A boy walks past a pile of garbage in the Basta neighborhood of Beirut, Monday, July 20, 2015. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Trash spilled out of dumpsters in Beirut and Mount Lebanon Monday, hours after waste management company Sukleen suspended garbage collection in the two regions.Sukleen has been unable to dispose of waste after the Environment Ministry closed the overfilled Naameh landfill last Friday. With its closure, Machnouk asked municipalities to dispose of their own waste, instead.Machnouk proposed last week that Sukleen divert Naameh-bound waste to other dumps around the country instead.Machnouk has requested that the waste treatment center treat 150 tons of wastes that used to be dumped in Naameh.The Environment Ministry is in the midst of overhauling how the country manages its waste.Machnouk said Sunday the current period of transition would take at most six months.
First Iraqi TV drama in seven years ready for Ramadan
"She said she'd blow herself up first": Hope dims on Yazidis
Former captive Yazidi kids reunited with families in Iraq
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE