Lebanon News

Lebanon declares end to trash crisis; waste pickup to resume

A pedestrian bridge blocked with garbage in Beirut, Friday, July 24, 2015. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)

BEIRUT: Environment Minister Mohammad Machnouk announced Saturday evening that the collection of garbage will resume in Beirut and Mount Lebanon in a matter of hours after the ministry located new dumps, declaring an end to a six-day crisis that saw the capital and its suburbs buried under piles of waste.

“We are now coordinating to move the garbage from the treatment facilities to these locations, as well as resuming the collection process and removing garbage from the streets of these areas,” Machnouk said in a statement.

“Also, tonight and in the coming days, garbage will be removed” from the capital and Mount Lebanon.

The solution was reached after “intensive efforts” sponsored by Prime Minister Tammam Salam, Machnouk added.

“This is a sensitive operation, and we hope to implement it despite the tense political ambiance,” he added.

Machnouk released a separate statement earlier in the day asking the public to sort their garbage at home and in commercial shops.

Massive mounds of garbage have accumulated on streets in Beirut and Mount Lebanon since Sukleen suspended trash collection Sunday night, two days after the closure of the 17-year-old Naameh landfill.

Saturday's announcement came two hours after hundreds of people marched in Downtown Beirut to denounce the government’s failure to solve the crisis.

Many of the protesters who were still in Downtown Beirut at the time of the announcement told reporters that simply burying the trash in new landfills was not acceptable and called for a long-term solution.

Machnouk earlier this week said any new dumps that are identified will be used temporarily until new companies are found to properly treat the waste.

The Development and Reconstruction Council has recently held a call for tenders, but no companies responded with any offers to manage Beirut and Mount Lebanon's waste.

 

Recommended





Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here