Bulldozers reopen the road after it was closed by protesters in Jiyyeh, Monday, July 27, 2015. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The capital region's maddening trash crisis nearly dissolved into chaos Monday as demonstrators forced officials to abandon an earlier solution and garbage collection was again suspended in the city.Sukleen, the waste management collector for Beirut and Mount Lebanon, had suspended its services eight days ago after the government closed the Naameh landfill.At his news conference, Machnouk said the ministers had identified dumps around the country to send the region's trash and said the state would compensate the host municipalities. Beirut municipality produces 600 tons of waste per day.Machnouk did not say whether sending waste to Sidon was part of the ministers' grand agreement Monday evening, but former Sidon MP Osama Saad and former Mayor Abdel Rahman Bizri signaled their opposition earlier in the day.Lebanese Democratic Party leader Talal Arslan blamed the garbage crisis on sectarian, political and regional rifts.Gemayel said the Lebanese government paid $200 million to Sukleen last year, or $150 per ton of waste.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE