The deputy chief of Hezbollah, Sheikh Naim Qassem, speaks during an interview with the Associated Press, in Beirut's southern suburbs, Monday, April 13, 2015. (AP Photo/Hussein Malla)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The Future Movement and Hezbollah will hold a new round of talks Monday amid renewed tension and an escalating verbal feud between the two rival parties over local and regional issues, including the resistance party's fight against jihadis on the outskirts of Arsal."Monday's dialogue session will discuss all key issues, including the latest Cabinet crisis, the subject of military and security appointments, the situation in Arsal and the presidential election crisis," a senior March 8 source told The Daily Star Sunday. The source said he expected the Future officials to raise last week's remarks by Hezbollah's deputy leader Sheikh Naim Qassem on the yearlong presidential deadlock, which are currently at the root of new tension between the two sides, whose strained ties have in the past threatened to plunge the country into sectarian violence. Adding to the Future-Hezbollah tension was last week's speech by Qassem in which he presented the Future Movement-led March 14 coalition with a bitter choice: either elect Aoun as president or face an indefinite presidential vacuum.The parliamentary Future bloc has dismissed Qassem's remarks as "dangerous and disgraceful" and accused Hezbollah of blocking the election of a new president with such an offer. Still, Qassem said Hezbollah extended its hands to the March 14 coalition to cooperate together to save the country.
Cabinet approves CEDRE blueprint to prop up economy
Aoun not meddling in vote: Change and Reform
Tensions on the rise as Lebanon polls draw closer
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE