People gather at the site of the Burj al-Barajneh attack in Beirut's southern suburbs on Friday, Nov. 13, 2015, one day after a pair of suicide bombers blew themselves up. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
More than 300 kilograms of explosive materials to make suicide belts have been seized and five more people have been arrested in connection with last week's deadly suicide blasts south of Beirut, officials said Wednesday as Lebanon intensifies its clampdown on terror cells.The Internal Security Forces Wednesday said its members arrested a Lebanese man, identified as Kh.Sh., accused of involvement in the double suicide bombings that jolted the southern Beirut suburb of Burj al-Barajneh last week, killing at least 46 people and wounding more than 200 others in the deadliest attack in Lebanon claimed by ISIS. However, the ISF statement did not say where the terror suspect was arrested.It added that based on the investigation with the terror suspects, the Information Branch seized around 180 kilograms of explosive materials, iron pebbles, a large number of detonators and tools to make suicide explosive belts, in addition to three suicide belts, each weighing 10 kilograms, ready for use.Interior Minister Nouhad Machnouk said Sunday the man arrested before the Burj al-Barajneh attack belonged to the same cell that carried it out. He also noted that another nine people – seven Syrians and two Lebanese – have been arrested over alleged involvement in the attack.
Aoun denies U-turn on defense; Hariri vows ‘hard work’
Leaders stress need for prompt reforms as pressure mounts
Aoun: Implementation of reforms to begin in October
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE