BEIRUT: Lebanese authorities have ordered four KFC branches to stop operating after receiving complaints from a number of people who suffered food poisoning after eating at those stores.
A decision signed by both Agriculture Minister Akram Chehayeb and Health Minister Wael Abu Faour said that KFC’s restaurants in Chtaura, Aley, Khaldeh and Raoucheh would be shut down.
The measure came after authorities had received a number of complaints from people who were food poisoned. A joint inspection team from the two ministers examined the four branches on Aug. 8 and took samples of the chicken, the document, made available by online media sites, said.
The test results said the samples did not meet the required food safety standards because they included amounts of salmonella and other bacteria that exceed the allowed limits.
The four branches would be reopened once new tests show compliance with food safety requirements, the decision noted.
Authorities have shut down a large number of restaurants and other food establishment since November last year, when Abu Faour launched a campaign to crack down on food safety violators.