The protesters’ first demand was the release of municipal funds.
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Kataeb Party youth protested Sunday against Lebanon's ongoing trash crisis, lashing out at the Cabinet and the Council for Development and Reconstruction for their failure to address the 7-month-old calamity.The protesters then headed further into Downtown Beirut and demonstrated near the Grand Serail. They shouted chants decrying the Cabinet and waste-management company Sukleen, which is charged with managing the waste of the capital and Mount Lebanon region. Gemayel also accused the company of neglecting its duties and stealing public finances by burying the trash in landfills rather than sorting it.Sukleen issued a statement Sunday in response to Gemayel. Sukleen stressed that it had always cooperated with Financial Prosecutor Judge Ali Ibrahim and had always operated within the confines of its contract with the government. Sukleen argues that this contract stipulated that 80 percent of the waste could be sent to landfills and the remaining 20 percent must be treated. Gemayel said Wednesday that the opposite ought to be done.
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE