A Lebanese woman covers her mouth with a medical mask as she passes by a pile of garbage on a street in Beirut, Lebanon, Friday, March 4, 2016. (AP Photo/Hassan Ammar)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The Cabinet Saturday approved a plan to establish two landfills near Beirut and temporarily re-open a third one whose closure eight months ago sparked the worst trash crisis in Lebanon's history.Joreige said the plan will last four years, during which the government will create a permanent solution to the country's waste issue."The trash plan is over a four-year period, during which there will be a discussion on a permanent solution," Joreige said. He said that the government will allocate $50 million over four years in development projects for towns located near landfills. The government will separately allocate $8 million annually to each municipality which will open a landfill. Speaking to Al-Jadeed from the protest site, Abi Rached said he met with Agriculture Minister Akram Chehayeb for two days earlier this week to discuss the 15-point plan to resolve the crisis without having to establish landfills.
Lebanon's PM-designate Hariri seeks 'national accord' government
Michel Aoun wins Lebanon presidency, ending 2-1/2-year vacuum
Burj Hammoud will no longer accept trash: Tashnag
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE