Bou Aoun said 54 percent of the country’s 5.3 million square meters of coastal construction is illegal. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)
Your vote, your duty
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
The Order of Engineers and Architects has a responsibility to draw attention to illegal coastal construction and put pressure on authorities responsible for these violations, the organization's head Jad Tabet said Wednesday.This figure was presented at the conference by Cynthia Bou Aoun, a professor of architecture at the Lebanese University of Fine Arts, who also noted that the sea remains out of sight from 50 percent of Beirut's area, and that 54 percent of the country's 5.3 million square meters of coastal construction is illegal – the other 46 percent having been legalized through the use of decrees.Nader noted that Lebanon's so-called "worthless" rocky beaches comprised some 80 percent of the shoreline and were largely unique.Bou Aoun noted that a series of decrees around Lebanon's 1925 law, made throughout the second half of the 20th century, paved the way for much of the subsequent coastal works.The few laws that have been put forward to deal with coastal violations are lackluster and may even exacerbate the problem, Fawaz said.
Your vote, your duty
Karadeniz announces new power barge arrival timeline
Abi Khalil: Ministers trying to claim my energy ‘victories’
Electricity reform critics disingenuous: Abi Khalil
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE