Sukleen released a statement Friday officially announcing it would halt all waste management operations in the two districts as of Saturday. (The Daily Star/Mohammad Azakir)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
As Sukleen's waste collection contract comes to an end in the Metn and Kesrouan districts Saturday, mayors from the concerned areas voiced differing opinions on the outlook of rubbish management. Dikwaneh Mayor Antoine Chakhtoura blasted Sukleen, claiming it had provided poor service over the last month. Though clearly frustrated, Chakhtoura said he was convinced the government's waste management plan, which will take over Sunday, would work. Jdeideh-Boushrieh-Sadd Mayor Antoine Jbara told The Daily Star work was ongoing on the new Burj Hammoud landfill, which was part of the government plan under former Agriculture Minister Akram Chehayeb.Under the 1997 contract, Sukleen's responsibilities were extended to collecting waste and treating it at the Karantina and Amrousieh plants, while sister company Sukomi was contracted to manage the then-newly established Naameh landfill.
No administrative appointments without ‘prior understanding’ between Hariri, Bassil
Zakka: IRGC were laughing the whole time
Berri fumes as border talks at standstill
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE