Lebanese film director Ziad Doueiri, holds up his Lebanese and French Passports as he speaks to journalists after being released by a military court, in Beirut, lebanon, Monday, Sept. 11, 2017. (The Daily Star/Mohamad Azakir)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A prominent French-Lebanese film director was released Monday after being questioned by Lebanon's military court on grounds he could have broken the law by shooting a movie in Israel several years ago. Ziad Doueiri was released after several hours of questioning, his lawyer Najib Lyan, said, speaking outside the court. Lyan added that Doueiri's passports, which were taken by General Security as he entered the country Sunday, had been returned to him. He appeared before Military State Prosecutor Judge Saqr Saqr over his entry to Israel to shoot his movie "The Attack" that was released in 2012 .Doueiri's 2012 movie "The Attack" drew controversy at the time because it was shot in Israel.While speaking with the media, Lyan did say why the case had been raised now given the years since the filming and the fact the director has entered Lebanon several times – including to film "The Insult".Doueiri never received any response, Lyan said, and eventually chose to go regardless.Doueiri's arrest and the events that followed have divided the Lebanese public.
Druze up in arms over summit invite
U.S. envoy warns of economic disaster, blasts Hezbollah
Red Cross rescues 500 Syrian refugees from flooded camp
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE