A garbage truck is seen at a recycle center in Tripoli, northern Lebanon, November 2, 2017. Picture taken November 2, 2017. REUTERS/Omar Ibrahim
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
A sorting facility built with a $1.63 million grant from the European Union in Tripoli was shut down Thursday, following residents' complaints about its foul odor.Back in 2009, when the project of a composting plant was being discussed, OMSAR considered a combination of EU funds directed to the Fayha Municipalities Union with private investments to be ideal for upgrading Tripoli's waste sorting facilities.The project manager said that two foreign experts, one from OMSAR and one from the UNDP, had been sent to the facility to compile an evaluation of AMB Group's operations.The total amount of waste to be landfilled should not have exceeded 35 percent of the total waste received by the sorting plant.AMB Group, however, was found composting less than 4 percent of the waste received, and was therefore penalized, Baraki said.However, until a new deal can be negotiated with the operating company or a new tender can be issued, the facility will have to remain closed.
Crisis ahead for creaking water sector
Lebanese enthusiasts ‘mining’ a crypto future
Gender equality not a side project: Abirafeh on her work
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE