A woman votes in elections at Beirut's Order of Engineers, Sunday, March 4, 2018. (The Daily Star/Hasan Shaaban)
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Established parties maintained control of two major departments in Order of Engineers elections Sunday, paving the way for them to secure 15 of the order's 16 council seats in upcoming council elections. A coalition made up of the Free Patriotic Movement, Future Movement, Lebanese Forces, Hezbollah and the Amal Movement won all 10 seats up for grabs in the architects department and the public sector engineers department – two of a total of seven departments in the order.In the public sector engineers department, the coalition list of parties won by a landslide and secured a comfortable 60 percent of the vote in the architects department, leaving roughly 40 percent to independent group Naqabati (My Syndicate).Some 1,370 out of 6,600 members of the architects department voted Sunday, while 444 of the 1,600 eligible public sector engineers department members voted. Voters elected five members to serve in each department – one for each party in the coalition list respectively. All five of the candidates – all men – elected can now stand for in the April 15 elections for the order's 16-member council. Naqabati put forward 40 candidates, winning around 18 seats.
Protests as uprising enters second month
Thirty days of struggle fall on deaf ears
Hezbollah insists on political presence in govt
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE