A Syrian refugee shops at a store in Beirut on June 14, 2017. AFP / JOSEPH EID
Your feedback is important to us!
We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.
Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.
Alert: If you are facing problems with posting comments, please note that you must verify your email with Disqus prior to posting a comment. follow this link to make sure your account meets the requirements. (http://bit.ly/vDisqus)
Marketed as the eco-friendly alternative to single-use plastic, biodegradable bags are billed as naturally degrading within several years or less.Sanita, a leading brand in household products in Lebanon, offers "biodegradable" bags with a lifespan of three years. The Sanita bag's materials are not listed on its packaging, but the makers say D2W is added to plastic products to catalyze a quicker breakdown when exposed to natural elements.Mimosa, another popular local brand in sanitary products, advertises the use of "Reverte" technology on its biodegradable bags.The Daily Star was able to find one biodegradable bag in a major supermarket chain in Lebanon that almost fit the bill.Alfapac, a French brand with a long history of creating eco-friendly bags, retails products made with 82 percent sugar cane. The materials making up the remaining 18 percent of the bag, however, were not printed on the packaging. Fondation Diane – an organization financing eco-entrepreneurs – has invested in a team working to make a truly biodegradable bag available in Lebanon.
Religious courts, international law clash in custody case
Lebanon’s elderly deeply vulnerable
Tracy or Miriam: Where do Lebanon’s storms get their names?
FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE