BEIRUT: The militant al-Qaida affiliated group Abdullah Azzam Brigades Monday denied responsibility for last week’s rocket attack on Israel, pointing the finger at Hezbollah.
Lebanese authorities confirmed Tuesday that one rocket fired from southern Lebanon landed into Israel, prompting Israeli troops to retaliate by firing six artillery shells.
El-Nashra news website reported at the time that Abdullah Azzam Brigades had claimed responsibility for the attack.
“This [rocket firing] operation was carried out for the benefit of the Bashar [Assad] regime and its ally in Lebanon, Hezbollah, by the hands of a group that has ties with the [Hezbollah] party and is known by us,” said a statement from the Azzam Brigades.
“Had we been behind this act or any act against the Jews ... we would have rushed to claim responsibility,” the group said in a three-page typed statement.
Hours after the Nov. 28 attack the Jerusalem Post said the Israeli army did not believe the rocket fire was the work of Hezbollah, but rather of Palestinian or al-Qaida affiliated groups.
The attack came on International Day of solidarity with the Palestinian people.