BEIRUT: Authorities are investigating the kidnapping for ransom last week of a 23-year-old Lebanese man, a security source said Monday.
The source, speaking to The Daily Star on condition of anonymity, identified the abducted man as 23-year-old Bashir Ali Fakih.
Fakih’s mother, Alia, said her son left his work place at Zaghloul Restaurant in the Gallery Semaan area of Beirut Thursday afternoon after telling her that he planned to spend the weekend with his friends in Baalbek, east Lebanon.
She received a call placed from her son’s cellphone Friday, demanding $32,000 in ransom money. The source said investigations are under way to determine the whereabouts of the kidnappers.
A version of this article appeared in the print edition of The Daily Star on September 06, 2011, on page 3.