BEIRUT

Lebanon News

FSA claims responsibility for killing of Hezbollah commander

In this undated file photo, Syrian Commander Riad al-Asaad, who heads a group of Syrian army defectors appears on a video posted on the group's Facebook page. (AP Photo/Free Syrian Army)

BEIRUT: The Free Syrian Army claimed responsibility for the death of a Hezbollah commander reportedly killed in Syria in remarks published in a Saudi newspaper Wednesday.

“Members of the FSA ambushed Ali Hussein Nassif, also known as Abu Abbas, with an explosive device that killed him and two of his bodyguards in Al Qusayr area in Homs,” FSA commander Col. Riad al-Asaad told Okaz newspaper.

An AP report Tuesday quoted a Lebanese security official saying that Nassif and several Hezbollah fighters had been killed in Syria.

Hezbollah spokesman Ibrahim Moussawi confirmed the deaths of the Hezbollah members but said he had no further information on where or how Nassif was killed.

According to Asaad, the FSA had planned the operation for two weeks.

“Members of the FSA tracked Abu Abbas for days until they were able to kill him while he was on his way to one of Hezbollah and [President Bashar] Asaad's forces’ gatherings in the region,” Asaad said.

The FSA commander also vowed to conduct more attacks against Iranian and Hezbollah elements allegedly participating in the clashes in Syria.

“Anyone who supports the Assad regime is a partner in crime and deserves punishment,” he said.

He said more than 300 people affiliated to Iran and Hezbollah had already been killed in Qusayr.

Hezbollah, the primary ally of Syria and Iran in Lebanon, has long been accused by Syrian rebels of providing help to Bashar Assad and sending its fighters to support the regime forces in the war-torn country. However, the group has repeatedly denied such accusations.

A broadcast on Hezbollah's Al-Manar TV Tuesday showed footage of the funeral held for the party commander in the eastern town of Budai, near Baalbek, in the presence of high ranking Hezbollah officials. The same day Al-Manar TV also aired what it said were the funerals of at least two other Hezbollah members killed while performing their “jihadi duty.”

 

Recommended

Advertisement

Comments

Your feedback is important to us!

We invite all our readers to share with us their views and comments about this article.

Disclaimer: Comments submitted by third parties on this site are the sole responsibility of the individual(s) whose content is submitted. The Daily Star accepts no responsibility for the content of comment(s), including, without limitation, any error, omission or inaccuracy therein. Please note that your email address will NOT appear on the site.

comments powered by Disqus

Advertisement

FOLLOW THIS ARTICLE

Interested in knowing more about this story?

Click here